Sunday, June 21, 2015

Castellane, France

Today is our rest day in Castellane, in southeastern France.  So far the trip has been quite amazing, with endless moutain views and more curves in each day's ride than I've ever done before.  My riding seems to get better each day, I think.  The group has quite a breadth of riding experience and skill, including a former pro racer and a rider-journalist who tests bikes for a living and writes about them for a variety of magazines.  Our host, Ewe, is an excellent rider as well, and has ridden everywhere you can imagine, including a six-year ride around the world!  I would say that I am in the middle--the fastest of the slower group and the only one riding two-up. The top four riders leave me in the dust quite quickly.
About half the group took a day ride today to the Grand Canyon du Verdon, while the rest of us stayed to enjoy Castellane, do a little laundry and catch up on blog posts.

As I write this, Karen and I have some laundry going a couple of doors down and we're enjoying a lunchtime glass of vin blanc at a little sidewalk cafe.  It was quiet when Karen took the picture of me at this little table, but now every table is full and conversations abound (all in French, of course).  Every couple of minutes another cycle goes by, weaving between the pedestrians who spill off the narrow sidewalks onto the winding road through this section of the town.  It is exactly what one imagine a small French town to look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment