Friday, June 5, 2015

Wednesday Travel - May 27

After leaving Patrick Point State Park, I was gifted by incredible vistas, sweeping curves, tight twisties, sun, wind rain, more rain and fog.  The Avenue of the Giants transported me to another place as I was surrounded by majestic redwoods.  The road extends around Hwy 101 for 32 miles and it feels like you become a character in the kind of fairy tale that has an enchanted forest, inhabited by giants.  Luckily, I had my trusty steed, with 96 cu in of American V-Twin power, and I galloped through the forest without encountering any troublesome creatures.

Life has no shortage of forks in the road.  Most of them are metaphorical, but this trip had a substantial choice to make just outside of Leggett, CA.  Would I stay with Highway 101 through the mountains and redwood forests, or pick up the Pacific Coast Highway--the "PCH?"  I had originally planned to travel the PCH to San Francisco, but on this day the mountains were calling my name.  I chose the 101; the Redwoods were amazing, it allowed me to ride through one of my favorite places, Sonoma County, and I wasn't sure how the cloud cover would be on the coast.  For the first time since riding out of Seattle, I was warm on the bike, in fact I even took off my jacket and rode in long sleeves and vest.  What a welcome feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment